Sunday, March 7, 2010

Adoption and Christianity...does God ever say no?

I remember when I was little, no more than 6 or 7, crying and carrying on to amom. The night before in my prayers I had asked God for a popple or some such nonsense, and when he didn't deliver, I was highly upset. I think I'd taken the whole "ask and you shall receive" bit a touch too literal. Amom sat me down and explained that just because I wanted something, even if I wanted it real bad, didn't mean that God wanted me to have it, or thought I should have it. i've long assumed that it was just her way of quieting me down at the time, but looking back, perhaps it meant something much deeper. That God wasn't in the business of handing out popples, or anything else for that matter just because someone wanted something real bad.

I figure if that applies to popples, it should apply to procuring a child too. I've read some doozies of blogs as of late. Where all sorts of weird and wonderful things seem to be considered sanctioned by the Christian God. Including a scary level of desire to procure another's child. Where friends are offering up prayers for speedy paper signings from scared young women, or praying for God to work his "will" on a young mother who is poised to change her mind, so their friends can start their illustrious careers as parents. Where some hopeful PAP squash any mention of a child's history and biology, and use their religion to do it. Where vultures justify away publicly musing away about how best to bring up adoption to a recent widower. I'm no stranger to scripture and faith being used to justify away poor behavior, my amom used them both to explain away and justify to herself harming my abrother and I. Perhaps reading these things is just far too triggering to me and I should stop. But at the same time, I wonder, just how much of this kind of behavior is really sanctioned by the church, by other Christians? Has this kind of behavior and attitudes become commonplace? Are there any blogs out there from former PAP who badly desired to adopt but felt they were told no by their God, and went on to do something different with their lives?

Does God ever say no?


2 comments:

  1. "Are there any blogs out there from former PAP who badly desired to adopt but felt they were told no by their God, and went on to do something different with their lives?"

    I wonder the same thing. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've been googling...haven't come across anything yet. No surprise really.

    ReplyDelete